Sunday, October 26, 2008

Faith vs. Religion

I am currently enamored with Seth Godin's new book called Tribes. In particular, I like his description of the difference between faith and religion. Paraphrasing heavily here but the idea is that faith allows, and is central to, a group moving forward, a tribe surviving. Religion is a set of rules to be followed. Religion is useful to reinforce faith, but religion on it's own can cause stagnation and resistance to change and growth.

I think I like this idea because it perfectly explains my feelings about Lindy Hop over the years. I have always sided with the folks who had faith in the dance, that it would survive in some form or another no matter what happened to it. On the other side of the coin have been the religious preservationists who have sought to freeze the dance in time or apply rules to it that prohibit it's growth. Change is frightening to them. Change is natural to me. Why should the dance be immune to the cyclical nature of things? Why should new ideas that excite the enthusiasts be cast aside? It's a mystery, but many people do feel that way and it's always baffled me.

One reason I decided to leave the dance world was the fact that I didn't like what I was being asked to do. I did not enjoy having conversations about the dance and where it was going. I did not enjoy being on the same bill and surrounded by people who were religious about Lindy Hop. Heretics are way more interesting to talk to, dance with and be around. Sharing in faith is a beautiful and awesome (in the original sense of the word) thing. Participating in religion is, for the most part, a lifeless exercise in rule following.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home